Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The "Joys" of Baking

Oh what a night it has been...where to begin? It all started with a grand plan of a beautiful birthday cake, one for a very special little niece who will soon be turning five. She loves pink and so I planned for everything to be pink, the cake the icing, the works! And she loves Barbies, and princesses and especially loves "Barbie and the Dimond Castle" right now. So hum, big suprise, want to guess what her birthday theme is this year?!?!? Wouldn't it be perfect then to make her a barbie princess birthday cake, that can be over the top girly pink and princessy. And so I set out, the cakes are now baked, oh and they came out so perfectly (I know because I made two little cupcakes from the cake mix since there was some extra, one for me to taste to make sure it was perfect, the other for Josh so he doesn't get mad at me for not thinking of him - heaven forbid!) I had everything all planned out perfectly so that I could take my time and not rush to create this beautiful cake for E. Well I guess I should have learn by now that no plan can go by without a few "hiccups" or I guess in my case, problems with gravity. It's that way to keep us on our toes right? That is what I keep telling myself anyway! I was getting a little low on powdered sugar, but I figured if I measured everything out exactly and use the little bit of extra icing I had left over from the Easter Cake (pics are coming) that I would be ok and have enough to get this cake done. So the measuring began and oh I felt so lucky when I even had a little bit left over in the bag, for just in case, of course. So far things were still going perfectly, as planned. I melted the marshmallows to get the fondant going, got those done and ready to add the sugar. So I grab the bowl with the measured out sugar when I suddenly realized I forgot to grease the mixing bowl (at this point I was thinking, oh man I'm so glad I didn't forget to do that, what a mess that would have been!) Ha! Little did I know... so I quickly, oh too quickly set the bowl down on what I thought was a solid complete surface called the counter, right next to the mixing bowl. Anyone else ever get so focused that you don't pay attention to the exact details of your surroundings? Yeah, so I was so focused on making sure that I greased my mixing bowl before putting the sticky marshmallows in that I forgot to take in the fact that I kinda sorta only placed the bowl full of powered sugar (only 8 CUPS!!! ONLY!) on the edge of the counter instead of completely on the counter, and so for some reason gravity thought it had to work and not cut me any slack, just this one time, so the results were, well let me just show you take a look below:

and of course I was standing right in the middle of it...

and one more, just to take in the full effects of powdered sugar taking a "joy ride" off the counter...

Surprisingly, even to myself I didn't get mad, or upset, I just started laughing! What else could I do?!?! So here is my new plan... I am sitting here in my powdered sugar covered pants and feet, writing this while waiting for J to get home from work. Then I am going to show him what a productive and "event-fall" evening I had while he was gone. Then I will have him help me clean it up, which I am sure he will be oh so willing to do since I now plan to use the one remaining cupcake as a bribe!!

2 comments:

Chelsea Ellingson said...

Aw, that stinks! I can totally sympathize with you- I did a similar thing with a package of flour I was trying to dump into a tupperware- it came out faster than I expected it to, so flour flew in my face as soon as it hit the bottom of the tub, which surprised me enough to jerk my face and nice shirt out of the way, which in turn caused the whole tupperware to tumble helplessly onto the floor. I didn't react quite as nicely as you did, though...:-) Well hopefully the cupcake was worth it!

April said...

I feel really bad now. I could have come and cleaned it up for you!! E loved her Barbie cake though!!! Aunt Wendy is da bomb!!